Strangely, with time the fresh breath seem to have loss its freshness. His preoccupation seems to be more related to international activities connected to International Olympic Council (IOC), International Cricket Council (ICC) and Asian Cricket Council (ACC). Things started to stagnate and groups have come into being either to support or oppose him. Is it because he has been in sports for too long, or is it that people have taken him for granted and decided to do what they want?
There seem to be too many issues brewing in cricket and I think I want to highlight it to him so as he can do the proper thing. These are matters that is talked about and may not have come to his attention. He must be given an opportunity to address it if they are bona fide issues. Some are matters that have happened in the past that may need comments just to let people be aware how it was handled.
Some of the issues are:
- The failure of MCA to ensure that existing cricket fields throughout the country are carefully maintained and are playable grounds. With the exception of the Klang Valley, there is lack of good grounds in other places.
- It would seem when the Kinrara Cricket ground was constructed, MCA did not have much of an input. They seem to have left it to other parties and the main building is awkwardly located for those who want to enjoy cricket. It is an unfriendly building for older people as the steps to and from the seats are at a steep gradiant.
- Within the Exco there seem to be camps and a number of issues are discussed outside and decided upon before the formal meetings.
- The current predicament caused by ACC's interference in the organisation of an ACC tournament gives the impression that the President of MCA has many ways of ensuring how he gets his buddies involved.
- The appointment of a full-time Executive Secretary and being unable to take minutes questions the selection basis. To further appoint him as a National Selector and also as National Team Manager begs the issue whether there are no other persons among affiliates or others who could do the job. The Executive Secretary usually manages the office administration unless in MCA it is different.
- It is known that family members of Exco have also acquired some powers to manage the office.
- Not only in Exco are there camps but even full-time staffs are also taking sides particularly as management is undertaken by shouting and cursing
- Coaches are recruited and terminated at short notice because of players power or as the various Committees have their own candidates.
- Programmes and Staff like Development Officers were recruited and terminated as the programmes are shelved because of the lack of proper thought process before implementation.
- The N. S. Cricket is in doldrums as MCA officials have been passing the bug of settling the issue of the Association to the State, OCM and the Sports Commissioner's office. The matter is compounded with the President requesting an OCM Vice President's involvement which has confused the matter. Strangely, MCA remain oblivious to the matter.
- The results of the Senior National team and the Under 19 seem to show that Malaysian cricket is still lagging far behind.
- Even those who undertake development at larger scale than MCA have to face the politics of MCA who seem to want to undermine their funding from the authorities.
- Power centres have grown in the North, Kinta Valley, Klang Valley and South to seek position in MCA.
The list can continue but this is just an appetiser, as I felt the President should be aware what is being talked about. I have done my little bit and essentially the President has to address it and ensure that the energy of MCA is put in the game and not in politicking and maneuvering.
This article is not meant to upset anyone, rather, in the hope cricket as whole would come out better. Lets all work together in the name of cricket and for the benefit of cricket in Malaysia.